Thursday, December 27, 2018

Oops! I Did The Unthinkable

Yesterday was a good day,  but the stress of some pretty nasty storms overloaded the synapse cycles and with the promise of  today being a great day of sunshine and 64 degrees after the storms, I went to bed with the notions that I would spend the day out in the sunshine shooting. And--- I almost did!

When I got up this morning and was making coffee, the sky was covered in stratus clouds, but as stratus clouds do generally, they burn off quickly as the sun comes up. After breakfast and a quick check on the systems to make sure that they were all running and secure, I filled my coffee cup, packed a little snack and made a quick run to the bank. I walked in and the regular teller was on the right and the strangest thing---a woman was behind one of the teller stations plus the loan officer that had greeted me. Remembering that month before last, when I made my regular stop, there was no teller. Period. This branch just can't seem to get their act together. What 's even worse is that it's not even my bank. I pay a bill that is my only check that I  still write each month for a service. Anyway, the woman ask if she could help me and said, " you are a teller, too?" She replied that she was and I stepped up to the window. She then ask, " How's your day going?'' I explained to her that ,"it started out a bit slow but that was okay. Other than that, I'm stunned. Two tellers working," I said; She said that she hoped to continue the practice going forward. She knew what I meant.

Leaving the bank I headed to the lake. When I parked, I saw a dear friend and she was shooting away. I had noticed the low areas were filled with water but once parked, it was clear to see that the water had risen several feet from when I was there yesterday. I pulled my camera out of the bag and headed over to say hello to my friend and shot a half dozen images, checked my settings and was ready to find some good material  to shoot for the end of the year. Then, the impossible happened...I got the message that my battery pack was empty! I had forgot to put the battery on charge after yesterdays outing.  Might as well stick a fork in me cause this turkey was done for the day!.

Here is a couple of shots that show the high water marks from last nights 2.5 inches of rain. Some areas got 4-inches, while others got 3" totals and it all watersheds into White Rock Creek and then into the lake.

The water covered all the sandbars and even the pelican's island. They were up on the mainland and all the visitors that were in town for the Boston College game that got called  because of lightening and the Notre Dame people are hear for the New Years Day game  were stressing the pelicans out a bit as the visitors were all amazed to find pelican in Texas. 
Yesterday, the water level was a few feet below the underside of the dock. Obviously, it had gone over the dock by more than a few inches during the night.

The water on the side was not there yesterday. The marsh area as bone dry.

Generally, the pelicans don't stress out like they were today.
edited 20:37 hours for typos.

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...