Sunday, December 30, 2018

A Surprise I Had Not Expected.

My surprise was to discovered and read an article written by an NPR reporter about my great uncle and his son, which would be my dad's full uncle and his son being my dad's full cousin. In the line of family history, my paternal grandmother's sister was the wife of great uncle. Farther down the line there was a mention about another enterprise of my great uncle and his nephew had been the one to keep that going for many years. He would have been the son of my paternal grandmothers other sister and their dad had been the leading  one who provisioned  live stock for several counties of farmers. In addition to being one of the board members of the Board of Education for that community he was a well know businessman. 

Now, I have seen and read articles that  were on the web by other family members, but never by a journalist that wrote for NPR  ( I love NPR stories that they produce). So I took my time exploring the article from top to bottom and reading all the captions under the pictures only to find that there was one image that the reporter published but captioned, "I have no ideal who this is." Well, I do. It was my mother when she was in her teens. Several months before she passed away, she had retold the story to me because I had found an old picture and had ask her about it. After she had passed, I was going through some of her things and I was in particular, looking for that picture. It was no where to be found. Mom had a little habit to sending things to people  that were in the media that she knew without any explanation who had sent it. Then, she would wait to see if they picked up on the story or made mention. There was a an anchor that she was particularly found to banter back and forth with.

One of our neighbors was a local news anchor. There were a few radio personalities that she was fond of as well. The link to all of these were the fact that they were broadcasters at either radio stations or television stations. And that link was something our family had always been proud to be a part.


In the article, the reporter noted his photography interest  and how that also included trains. Both of those things are long noted in this blog of my own profile. So, this coming week, I will send an email to the reporter and let him know about his picture that he had no ideal who it was. Hopefully, It will help in some way. He has authored a book on the subject.

My youngest brother and I are having our Christmas lunch on Monday, New Years Eve.  Ice, sleet, freezing rain and S*N*O*W are being forecast for Wednesday. While the models are all coming closer to agreement on the Pacific storm, Not any of the models can give an accurate track or how much unforeseen moisture  there is to work it above the fact that there will be some!

My Great Uncle Founded KBTM AM 1230 Radio

and his son began the first FM radio station in the state of Arkansas.


No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...