Saturday, December 29, 2018

Christmas Is Officially Over In My House

An old light standard in a parking lot near Love Field that was still working, but now, it has been cannibalized. It is sad to see cast iron ornateness in such beauty and no one is restoring  for a shop sidewalk or  even a yard in some of the Ronnie Houses.
When I sit down to have the first bowl of homemade Turkey noodle soup after rendering the turkey carcass down to the end stock, then Christmas is officially over. Well, I just had the first bowl for this year and not to brag, but UH! was it good!. Something about homemade soups I have always liked, I even do the same thing to the ham bone making ham and lentil soup. Although, I don't eat as much ham as I once did, I will have at least one during the course of the year. But this year, I had turkey breast on Thanksgiving and on Christmas. Even buying the turkey breast with the bone in, works just as well as a full turkey carcass.

Starting out, a little salt, poultry seasoning, parsley flakes, two bay leaves, cut carrots, onion, bell peppers, celery, mushrooms, water to cover the carcass and boil until the balance of the meat begins to fall off the bone. Reducing heat, I then let it simmer until the bone marrow  becomes liquid enough to cook out. The last 15 minutes I put in the noodles and cook until the noodles are tender but not soggy. Then, it's time for the chef to sample the goods!  It's really easy to do. Tomorrow, I'll have a bowl for lunch, With the weather being a cold rain tomorrow all day, most likely, I'll have another bowl for supper. Then, it's put into little one-serving freezer tubs and moved to the freezer.

In fact, I do that with home made chili and home made chicken and dumplings (yes, I make my own dumplings). By planning ahead a bit, you can combine thing and/or use them with other things. When I make chili mac, all I have to do is cook the macaroni, defrost the chili and combine and heat for three minutes. Voila! I used some of the sliced turkey for sandwiches and then I take my last chicken and dumplings and add some turkey meat that I had already sliced and have one heck of a good turkey and dumpling dinner one evening.  My time in the kitchen is cut to almost nothing and I still have good healthy meals. I steam frozen broccoli florets in 5 minutes. Pan fry carrots. French cut green beans can even come from the can if you buy one of the national brands such as Del Monte or Green Giant that they make for private label use for one of the family of  Kroger brands or Albertson's or Winco's.







No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...