Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Game 5 of the World Series Clear Cut Fish Hatchery by ONCOR

 It's a good thing that the new $1.2B stadium in Arlington has a retractable roof. The temps have hovered at 39-41°F all day with gusty North winds and rain; freezing rain. Winter Storm Warnings were issued last night until 1 PM CST today, and that's just what is at the edge of the Metroplex. Go 406 Miles to the SE and you run into Hurricane Warnings. Hurricane Zeta is expected to make landfall somewhere around the mouth of the Mississippi.The direct hits that the Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama residents have put up with this season is something else. 

Just when I was doing so well and walking up to 5-miles per day, got put on hold on the 15th with the last of my surgeries finally complete. It has been a slower recovery with an unexpected problem, but the doctors got it all worked out and just the past two days I have been moving more normal since the surgery. The only thing that is holding me back now is the cold wet weather and two upcoming follow-up visits to the doctors. 

The decree level of getting back out there with the camera has been elevated in the past two weeks. It appears that ONCOR, the delivery arm of TXU energy clear cut a 3 acre swath through the heart of the old Fish Hatchery, which is a sanctuary for wildlife, from snakes to coyote to bobcats to raccoons etc.etc., not to mention the waterfowl that find a safe haven in those old fish hatchery ponds. I've even seen beavers in there. Those hatcheries had their own eco-systems. Some of the ponds were filled with mulch according to one of my friends that has been out there since the cutting.

Of course, ONCOR was quick to say that they have the right to clear the right-of-way. That point is true. The dirty part was that they failed to notify the city that they were going to do it until they got caught. They have a history of butchering trees along alleys and even front lawns. It just makes me sick to see the images that D magazine posted. The area was a great get -away from urban noise where you could think--actually hear yourself think--- just a few miles from downtown. I know for a fact that wildlife and plants will be back. The problem is if nothing gets more established guidelines in place, the problem a decade ago has been revisited and will be revisited again. After a while, the wildlife even moves on looking for better places to live undisturbed lives. 

So, while I am looking forward to getting back out there, I'm not looking forward to what I will see that didn't have to be.

                                                                    Fish Hatchery Canal




 

No comments:

Wildlife Images are interesting in urban nature settings.

                                           I still have to pinch myself that I caught this capture a few years back, like pre-Covid days. I ...