Sunday, October 4, 2020

Early Fall Confirmed

 Well, if you follow natures signs like I do, one of the first signs of an early fall is the flipping of leaves on the trees (see previous post on leaf flipping). That has already occurred this year. The next sign is the occasional leaf found on the ground in various spots as the sap begins to recede in trees. That has already occurred this year. The next phase is the turning of the leaves themselves into yellows then to golds or reds and then into that textured look of leather or tanned hide colored. Some trees are now showing that and have even begun to drop.Usually that stage is for the softer woods like ash etc.,etc.The hardwoods will follow those in time. 

While at one of the train stations last week, I noted that the leaves in one of the trees on the platform had begun to turn yellow and had even dropped a fair amount to note. Having said that, it got me to watching more closely as the train went through the areas that are not so much commercial as the trees on the platforms. Sure enough, spotting that ever noticeable color of yellow. The tops of many trees were popping up as we moved alone the trains route. As a side bar, when I came in from my outing, I noticed the change more closely with the trees on my porch. One is nearly 12 feet high and it is showing signs already,too. 

Growing up in the South, I recall my walks in the woods behind our house on the hill. Leaves almost never seemed to be on the ground until mid November. Here in Texas, being farther south still, it is more like Thanksgiving to the end of November.. So, by the signs seen thus far, we are running nearly 6-7 weeks early this year in the transition into fall. Colors move from North to South at about 20 miles per day for peak colors.

Going back through my files, for the past three years, images back up the assumption from visual signs noted already. As, 2017 was a very early fall by past year standards, that too, is noted in images. 

So, as the annual change in the jet stream drops farther south, true and stronger 'cold' fronts begin to arrive every three or four days. Temps fall back on my porch thermometer from 80s overnight to 60s and now into the low to mid 50s. It's getting to be my favorite time of the year. I can sit out on my porch and drink my morning couple of cups of coffee. There is that feel of briskness in the air again. We know fall is here. As is said in midtown Manhattan: "You'll have that from time to time,yes, you will." We just say in Texas: "Hallelujah!!"

 

October 4-6-2019
October 6-8-2018
November 18,2017

 


No comments:

Headed out to Deep Ellum today after talking with the Muralist yesterday on a bus route.

 This was my third weekend in the Art's District Train Station and it was more wild that the past two. It didn't take long to figure...