Thursday, September 24, 2020

Fans in the Stands; Bands in the Stands

 There is no debate that I am and always have been, a college football supporter more than I am being a Pro fan. There are a couple of reasons for that. I grew up when high school football games were a Friday night event. And, I do mean an event. You didn't miss a Friday night football game like you didn't miss going to church on Sundays. Those two days were a no-brainer. 

Today, looking back at those days, I can recall my band days when we marched onto the field right  then up to our seats in the bleachers. We played a few sets and then the game started. My shock was,"Oh, I have to watch the football game?" It had always been the band that I was interested in, not football. But, from that moment on, I was a true football fan. In college, I never missed a Bobcat game, especially when all my friends were there at the game and it was  truly a college experience that I will never forget. After the game, instead of going to the hometown's drive-in restaurant to hang out, as a college student, it was uptown to the main green, to the bars, and later to one of the fast food  restaurants before tackling the hill's down slope to the East Green where I lived. 

When I came back to Texas to get ready to retire, those Friday night lights flooded my memories of younger days. And, frankly, it was something that I am glad to have experienced and not missed. So. today, with the COVID pandemic wrecking most of the year for civilized man around the globe, it just goes to show you that fans in the stands mean so much to our sports figures, albeit high school, college or pro. But as stated earlier, I am a big college fan. I have always been a big Michigan fan and my oldest son was Ohio State. He unexpectedly died just 100 days after his graduation. A couple of years later, OSU had a renovation of Ohio Stadium in Columbus. The quality built folding chairs that had been in the old stadium were sold off by the university as were pieces of the goal post that saw Michigan footballs pass between those uprights many, many times. So, I purchased both a chair and was lucky enough to get a section of the goal post. 

The chair still has a piece of bubblegum stuck to the underside of the wood-slated seat of the heavy metal steel folding chairs that also saw many,many grads who had sat on them in the field to hear there commencement speaker tell them to "go out into the world". It has the sticker that was signed by AD Andy Geiger, to certify it was the 'real deal'. 

When I look over an see that chair or the goal post section on its block of wood, I think of my son and of my days going to college games. But, the most memorable game that I have ever seen was from my seat in the "big house of Ann Arbor." Michigan stomped Wisconsin 63-0. The roar in the stands at the big house was something to behold. 112,000 people. Mostly Michigan fans. It was something I will never forget. No high school game or college game can equal that noise that day. I often wonder if any one had a decimal reading on the sound generated from that game. 

When you hear the sports casters and the players talk about how silent it is today at games from baseball to hockey to basketball, football, soccer, cricket matches and tennis, you better believe it makes a difference. That's as much a part of the sport as anything anything else.


Sorry dude. Now you know why I took your picture.
You were a terrific sport.

I happen to be wearing a red T-shirt with the Ohio State Buckeyes 

January 8, 2007 

National Championship, BCS Arizona.

Hey! at least its all Big10, dude.


No comments:

Construction Zone

 Saw the National Weather Service Summer Forecast yesterday. It ain't pretty. More Hot than the two record years of the past. That set t...