Monday, January 28, 2019

Up and At'Em Early Today

An early morning errand had me out the door and on the move before 2 bells this morning. After the errand, I had the full morning to shoot. By eight bells, I had already stopped at two grocery stores and was minutes from being home. The cold front was slipping into the Metroplex and it will be a hard freeze tomorrow morning plus it will be about 10-12 degrees cooler for the day high, but by the weekend, its forecast to hit 70F.

I've seen the minus 17 degree cold before and hopefully, never again. The Great Lakes haven't been frozen like this in years!! It takes cold to do that. The tap water is ice cold from the lakes and really taste good. I miss Great Lakes Water. We will not get that much of the Arctic push into North Texas. But, being inside and out of the wind as the temperature drops has a great benefit---called warmth!!

My final run before heading to the store, I made the circle of the lake. Much to my surprise as I'm sitting at on the of parking lots looking across the lake, I see Bufflehead ducks. They are here in migration from the boreal forest and aspen park lands of central Canada. They are small, feisty, disappear into the water much like the cormorants and American Coots. The big difference is the colorful displays of feathers.  It was simply being in the right place at the right time.

The male has colors like a wood duck but not identical.

Will be going back to look for them specifically. I want some better shots. These runs for the blog help keep breaches of copyrights down to a minimum, but they also turn up finds that  help to produce income later on.

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...