Sunday, November 15, 2020

Thanks to the No Mask Wearers for Todays Text

 I've felt pretty safe from the Corona riding the buses and trains. However, this past week I have noticed more and more people not wearing their mask. What is even more interesting is that most of the politicians that seem to think that wearing them has allowed us to open up the economy, which is a good thing, yet, they are the very ones that wear the mask until it is time to speak, then they cast the mask aside as if nothing was happening. Joe Biden is one. Kamala Harris is another. I'm not pointing them out to be political...rather, to point out the old adage: "do as I say, not as I do." 

On the bus and the train on Thursday after my doctor's appointment, I noticed many without mask and it is a requirement to ride DART. Yet, there were no fare police checking and no DART officers checking about mask. So, with this coming week being perfect autumn weather and with Dallas County doubling the number of cases in one day to 1500, I'm not going anywhere but my porch. It's going to be a long winter, folks.

It was obvious at the Notre Dame vs.Clemson football game last week when there was 100 yards of human flesh neck to neck and shoulder to shoulder on the field celebrating the victory. Now, I've been in the "big house in Ann Arbor" and I know what 112,000 people feel like and look like. Since Notre Dame was okayed by U of M to build their stadium as an exact duplicate of Michigan Stadium, there was a clause that only allowed Notre Dame to construct to 3/4 scale of Michigan Stadium, or "the big house". So, take away 25 percent from 112,000 and you still have 100 yards of human flesh...most which did not have mask on following the rush onto the field. Ironically, I was also in the "big house" when Michigan gave Wisconsin a big whooping 63-0. Ironically, Wisconsin plays the Maze and Blue this coming week and the Badgers are favored to win. But, I'll go out on a limb here and say," they ain't gonna win no 63-0, folks"

Therefore, one of those beautiful days will be spent in the house watching the game, but I would rather be out walking with my camera, especially this time of year with this kind of weather. But, the risk has just increased so, that I would be a fool to go out any farther than I could walk. It really is frustrating that people are so self-centered that they not only risk their own health, their families health and the health of others that have as much right to be out and go as they do. But after all, that is what self-centered is, isn't it? 

I'm truly fearful that our economy is going to tank. The handwriting was forecast some 18-20 months ago when the early signs that the economy was going to tank. Now, one of two things: either someone had insider info that the virus was going to happen, or no one paid any attention to the economist that follow this stuff in the big think tanks. And, as always, someone is gonna get rich in the long run. The question now, is who? Those are the ones that I keep a close eye on, because as mom taught, "those are the ones you want to avoid in life".  And, the older I get, I see her wisdom come full circle time and time again. 

Now, to be perfectly fair about the comments above, my goal was to have 10,000 images on line by the end of 2020. At the time that goal was set, I didn't know that 5 surgeries and a pandemic later, I'd be hard pressed to meet that goal. But, I am a fighter and my work ethics have always been extremely high. So, with the determination and the drive to get things done, I set out to accomplish my goal. Yes, here it is: "I was a bit self-centered myself." At this writing, I have, with the help of some of my agents, published to date, 9,990 of that 10,000 image goal. Which reminds me, I need to update that in my profile on Twitter. So, what happens then? Well, that's still  is in the synopsis of my inkwell so-to-speak.

Finally, someone ask me the other day why I didn't list my pictures (there words, not mine) on Flickr? There is two simple reasons. One, its a way some photographers monetize their images as workflow. I do the same, but do it in a much different form than most. In fact, I might come out just a bit more than my Flickr friends. Two, ever look at the images on Flickr? There are a couple image houses whether they know it or not, like Google and Flickr that are building photo image bases that are their assets with or without your copyrights. It's called "assets" just like the one in accounting. Just like your 401 is your asset, your image becomes their asset over time. It's gotten so out of hand now, that I don't even concern myself with it anymore. What I do concern myself with is that the reason I don't list with Flickr at all (et al) is that most of the shots are nice and pretty and places that the photographer probably will never see again. I happen to like the wagon wheel approach where you watch an area change over time through your images. That is why I choose the "ole wagon wheel"  in the first place. It affords me that opportunity to see changes in an Urban setting. It is like going on vacation vs. coming back home where your roots are, your house is, your friends are, and yes, your love of photography capturing your world on a daily basis. That's where the coffee table books got started and has changed over time. I remember the Toledo Blade published a 'coffee table book' after the Kennedy Assassination, named, "The Torch Is Passed". I  knew then, that as much as I loved photography at that time, that to see my work turn into a coffee table book of images was just not my thing. However, it came to mind with perfect harmony when the photographer that shot the parking spot of Air Force One while Kennedy was on his last limo ride, was searched for and found so that the actual coordinates could be calculated from the image so that a bronze marker could be placed in the tarmac at Love Field, here in Dallas. That's the kind of history an old photographer like me likes to contribute to history. And as some say, "make ripples" so you are never dead... line.  Like Beethoven or Handle with their music. 250 - years later Beethoven is still on the human tongues of humanity. That isn't self-centered at all. That is just good stuff still riding on his ripple wave in time. 

My grandfather in 1888 at the age of 4 years. The image is from the original that I have actually

held when my grandmother surprised every one that she had cherished most of her life before passing it on to my uncle. My mom had this copy made from that original some time after 1952 when my grandfather passed. My grandmother knew that my mom would not be getting the original 1888 image, so she gave her permission to my mom to have a copy made from  a profession lab. This picture hangs on my living room wall today. While my grandfather was a business man and ran a grocery story in a corner of several cotton field where John Grisham's  "painted house" was centered, my grandfather was also a United States Marshall that quail hunted with major league baseball figures from pitchers like Preacher Row of the New York Dodgers to the boys of  Detroit and  St. Louis and Chicago teams. I still remember being in our kitchen when the phone rang and my mom answered to learn that my grandfather had passed away within the past hour. I remember my grandfather being in his bed covered over and  seeing my grandfather in his casket for the first time before anyone else, the funeral that packed the Methodist church,both inside and out and being at the grave site where he was interred. My mom is next to him at that cemetery and I will be laid to rest next to her. Three generations of us together. My grandmother, several years after his death, married her boyfriend from school and is buried a 100 miles away. The whole cemetery where my grandmother was laid to rest is pretty much her whole family so she is not alone.  My dad is buried in the National Cemetery in between. So, the three generations were meant to be together. I cannot help but think that the Trinity of Graves  came about with some divine Intervention. There are three types of divine intervention based on this view: Big showy miracles, ordinary displays of God's mercy, and one act of love so powerful it gave us the reason for our faith.I like to think that the divine intervention that I'm thinking of is the latter --one act of love so powerful it gave us the reason for our faith.

No comments:

Cannot do any hurkle-durkling or any WCS. I already burned that candle on Wednesday

 What the heck is he talking about? You don't want the long answer because that goes back 200 years where it began as a Scots term. The ...