Monday, November 9, 2020

Stunned at the Openspace of the Arts District is Gone

 It has been nearly a year since I explored the Dallas Arts District gumshoe style. While I do like to see the growth that Dallas is undergoing and what it brings into the fold of being a Dallasite, the Flora Street corridor has all but encased the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center with high rises. Coupled with the additions to the Diocese of Dallas' Cathedral of Guadalupe at Ross and Pearl, even that pedestrian walkway is now all but gone. Let's not even begin to talk about what has happened on the south side of  Klyde Warren Park at Pearl and Woodall Rodgers specifically. Medium high rise luxury residents are now anchored in downtown on the south side of Woodall Rodgers.

There was a wedding going on at Cathedral Guadalupe so I avoided the east side of Pearl, instead wandering from Klyde Warren farther south to Pacific. It will be a couple of weeks of walking down there before I get a complete handle on just what has grown, what has been replaced or moved as a result of the construction this past year. It must be pointed out that being on foot and gumshoeing it has opened up many new doors and avenues for some great shots. 

One thing that I have discovered in short order is that a car can be somewhat of a crutch in photography. I guess that I always knew that, but now in the post car era, I can see it plain as day. Put another way, I see it on the edit desk and can zoom in even more than I would if I was just looking through the view finder regardless of the number of mm and settings. That's another thing that has raised its visual head. "Hey, look at me,"




it screams and I have all but put the long lens away and maybe for good. I'm the first one to recognize shifts and changes around me, but I am my own most stubborn friend to my self. Sometimes, you just need to back off all the Social Media Experts that have this country on some kind of electronic drug floating through the air and just sit quietly observing  in a different kind of way. The results are stunning and having been jarred to a new sense of self, I am, without doubt, better for the experience.

No comments:

Cannot do any hurkle-durkling or any WCS. I already burned that candle on Wednesday

 What the heck is he talking about? You don't want the long answer because that goes back 200 years where it began as a Scots term. The ...