Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Hummingbirds On The Mind

Found My Keeper!!
The past 10 days save one for flooding, I have devoted my time to capturing a near perfect image of a hummingbird in flight at a flower as if it were suspended in mid air. Today, was the lucky day.

The thing about wildlife is that when you think you have them figured out and what they will do next, they usually turn the tables on you and send you packing to regain your thoughts about what you did wrong. Yesterday, purely by accident, I discovered that the plant that I had been hiding behind was the very plant that they worked the most.

Knowing that hummingbirds like red, there was this one big lush bush were I found them working initially. As it turned out, I parked the car and walked inside the garden and sat down on one of the benches. Suddenly, there were dozens of little green hummingbirds darting in and out on the every plant that I had parked the car behind, hoping to get a clear shot of one on the big lush red plant.

Today, I headed straight to the garden and just watched what happened as I moved around the gardens perimeter. From then on, I didn't stop shooting until I have shot well over one hundred shots. Giving the camera's battery pack a rest, it was time to see what else was happening as the sky began to clear.

The first real autumn cold front is due to hit tomorrow morning early. Mid day, I have a doctor's appointment so today was the day to get enough work shot to carry me the next couple of day.


I ran into a friend with a big 600 mm of glass. We had shot the eagle together earlier in the week. I ask him if he shot hummingbirds. Long story short, he didn' t know about the area where  I had been shooting and ask if he could follow me over there. As he walked up with his camera, he was in awe of what he was seeing and as I left, he was clicking away like mad.

Photography guys are odd about letting others know what's happening and where. It's basically a little club like in high school. To me.... shooting God's beautiful creatures should be shared from the heart rather than to be selfish and hording. I know there are those who don't understand that way of thinking, but God is a benevolent  God  and  his Grace does come back to those that share His will accordingly. So, yes, I will share a location as long as it doesn't create a situation like telling were the eagle's nest is located. I know that if I gave that out, it wold be a mad rush there and either the area would get fenced off or the eagle's would book to another location miles away. So, you have to use a bit of common sense and apply it accordingly. Know what I mean, Vern? Vern, knows what I mean!

So, my goal for the summer was to reach a published goal of 8,000 images. At the moment, I sit at about 7,700 +/- a few dozen. It's been a hot summer to work that goal, but you adapt and learn and adapt and learn some more. As it turned out, I shot early in the day when it was still in the 80s  and by 11 when the temps were beginning to press that triple digit number, I'm in the house at the desk working on edits and submissions and the like. Sales have been good and growing. It's hard to stay ahead but like anything else that is worth while, you just have to put your nose to the grindstone and work a bit harder. The results have been the same as when I learned that at 14 delivering a major daily and Sunday new paper to a small town. That's right--- I said T-O-W-N! the whole town!! Goals have always been in my thinking from having learned that at an early age. I'm thankful for it today, of course.  Dad would help me on Sundays but during the week, I was on my own.
Click on an image and all three will enlarge.



No comments:

April Steps Fell, Weather brought shut-in days. Happy May Day, Too!

Springtime in Texas is mixing up the cold air with the warm moist Gulf air inflow, but it was still, a pretty good month weather, health and...