Saturday, November 4, 2017

A Long Admired Building Gets The OKAY

Two days ago I drove past a building that I have admired for at least the past 16 years. The architecture is period for 1900's and the mason work is outstanding. Even today, as it nears it's century mark. The street where it sets is in a section of  Dallas where old Victorian houses stand as neighborhoods.

This building, which does have some subtle signs of the Victorian era, is more medival Spain with the arches somewhat more different than traditional Gothic points. Maybe even a bit Moorish with the detail.  But the mixture of brick and coping stones is the eye popper Gothic. The original stone plate above the entry suggest some difference.  The striking date line, which spells out the word, built and then AD 1926, is another give away. Most buildings just date using the year, 1926, and that is that. The builder had vision when this building was designed.

Not this one. My intrigue just burst and  I turned around and parked. The door was open with two ladies sitting on the floor working on an oriental carpet. After an intro, I pointed out that my admiration for that building was long lived. I ask if I could  take some pictures. After a bit, the okay was given. I got the preliminary shots with afternoon sun and went back in to thank the lady for letting me shoot the architecture.  She said, "are you heading out?" I replied that I was but  I ask if it would be okay if I came back on an early Sunday morning and shot in the morning light and she said that her dad would do that, too. It made me feel good that she knew where I was coming from about my keen interest in architecture--especially the older styles that we as a society seem to be tearing down without any thought of what we loose as a culture and a society as a result. 

A prime example sits right next door with a new five store apartment building, one of tens of dozens still going up in Dallas. The building it replaced would have been on that end of a main thoroughfare in the day. So, early Sunday morning will be a senior coffee at McD's and a morning of good light to shoot the balance of the extraordinary elements of spectacular craftsmanship and architecture.



The tile roof is yet another giveaway

Notice the different angle from what is traditional Gothic with the equilaateral points and some lancet but no ogees. HUM! The overlap is just wonderful for Middle Age. I still think that there is some suggestion of influence from India and Middle East. The Taj Mahal arches, maybe. Just a hint or a tad, an ounce, a drop. Okay, maybe a splash!

A mixture, but the brick and coping is still the eye popper!

No comments:

Wildlife Images are interesting in urban nature settings.

                                           I still have to pinch myself that I caught this capture a few years back, like pre-Covid days. I ...