Sunday, November 5, 2017

Walking The Woodlands

There is one place that I visit about this time every year that is full of wildlife from slithering creatures to bob cats and now I hear, feral hogs. It is the feral hogs that have given me pause. They are dangerous. Still, yesterday, I put on the hiking boots and headed out for my annual trip. It isn't that far away from home, but it is one of those places that few ever travel as a destination. I had one goal in mind.

While the leaves are beautiful and the running water is something I could sit and watch for hours, it is the little things that go unnoticed by most. The crop of acorns are the biggest. The wild berry bushes are loaded. It is just an enjoyable couple of hours where about the only thing you hear is an airplane going over now and then. No horns. No loud talking. And not seeing a single soul with a phone plastered to their ear.

I go this time of year because most of the snakes have already crawled. But, in Texas, that is not always a totally true statement. There has never been a November in Texas where temps have reached 90 -degrees...until this year. We have already had a 94 and a 90 and it's only the 5th. It is forecast  to be 89 today and that could easily move over the mark into the 90 range, even if only for a split second. But snakes like to sun bath, too. So the hiking boots are a must. Wednesday it will only be 54 and the slithering things should not be out at all, but I could not wait to lizard hunt with my camera.

My goal was to find a true Texas lizard. Not a little gecko. I have one of those that greats me on my gate and has even been seen hanging on my wall now and then before I show him the door. Cute but not the type of lizard that I was in search of on this trip.
If

If, indeed, it is an Alligator, this would be the type that I was searching for on this trip.

I have called this before, the Enchanted Forest because the tree trunks are so dark and outlined. Last years trip the colors were more golden and the year before that, they were even a reddish color. Don't know why the same stand of trees changes color so much, but on my next trip to the Arboretum, I'll find out. 

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...