Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Goal Set Obtained on Foot

 After getting off the bus at the White Rock Rail Station, I set out on foot to achieve a post operations recovery. The goal was to walk the entire length of West Lawther Dr. from the White Rock Rail Station to Garland Road at the southern dam lookout end. Actually I have ridden my bike the entire 9.3 miles once and walked from the parking lot at Mockingbird Pedestrian Bridge around to just short of the west side entrance around to the parking lot again. So, basically, I am getting back to normal in strength and stamina ( the ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort). That was my goal for the day and it was accomplished and documented via camera timeline and locations and not the Google method. The first image taken at 12:43:29 at the train station as I began the walk to the bus stop at Garland Road and San Rafel bust stop for the 214 at 18:15 (6:15pm) to South Garland Transit Center to the 242 to Lake Highland Train Station for the 17 Bus Central/LBJstation. Home at 19:39:56 (7:39:56pm). Long day on foot, bus and 1 1/2 rail stations. 

Here's the thing. it has been over two years since my emergency surgeries ended my daily trips to White Rock--my place of good sanity health. I had attempted the East Lawther leg from the White Rock Rail Station about 14 months ago and only made it to the old Doctors Hospital (now White Rock Medical Center after 50 years of Doctors Hospital and name changes.) Since then, I have take more smaller walks to get my strength stable again. So, I am making some progress forward. But, what made me take this walk was to see all the new mansions built on W. Lawther and always in search of new Chimneys. My collection of chimney designs is ever growing.






Spanish, Asian and American Style in and adjacent to the Estate Section of West Lawther Drive. 

One moment of excitement. I am sitting on a bench overlooking the lake just off the trail when I heard this loud pop. I looked to my left and this squirrel coming down the tree trunk headfirst had its tail going crazily back and forth. I got up to go see what was happening when this snake strikes at the squirrel.The snake had a squirrel or some type of rodent in its grasp with its head staring straight at the prey. The squirrel came back and tried to irritate the snake further. In short, the squirrel was trying to make the snake move away from the tree. As it turned out, hearing people talk later about the snake said that it was there when they walked past the first time but on their return, the snake was gone. Feisty little squirrel.


The snake is a pit viper but I cannot identify the specific species. Need to talk to Mr Johnson at Dallas Enviromental for White Rock Lake.

No comments:

April Steps Fell, Weather brought shut-in days. Happy May Day, Too!

Springtime in Texas is mixing up the cold air with the warm moist Gulf air inflow, but it was still, a pretty good month weather, health and...