Friday, February 19, 2021

Mars,Rover,Perseverance,Lands,Pictures Already, WOW! Nominal again.

I like it here, thank you very much. And thanks to NASA for the uses of this image. Usually, I don't use the NASA shots because so many already do, but on occasions such as this, I will reclaim a bit of my tax penny.

 

 It's been a long time since I sat on our living room floor and watched the beginning of the NASA era of launching things, then animals then humans into space. It was the last frontier, but as we have long sense discovered , in the new frontier, a new frontier is developing.In those days, Gene Kranz was a friend of my father. He was mission director during Gemini and Apollo programs. He was also in charge of the first lunar landing. He also served as NASA's second Chief Flight Director. In West Toledo, Gene was the man.

I can still remember the most gut wrenching anticipation I have ever experienced. My wife and I were in a new Volkswagen Beetle on I-71. As we crossed the Ohio River from Kentucky into Ohio, coming across our car radio, was the spine chilling words: "Houston, Tranquility base here. The Eagle has landed." Later that July day in 1969, Neal Armstrong, was confirmed to have made that transmission. Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin's landing on the moon was historic with Armstrong and Michael Collins, who stayed in orbit doing experiments and taking pictures. while Armstrong, then later, Aldrin were on the moon. I remember thinking at the time, he's (Collins)  up there all alone. And he was. Especially when his orbit was on the back side of the moon and the rest of the crew was down below miles away. That, to me, would be something that would take me a lot of time to wrap my brain around. 

This afternoon listening ( and watching NASA tv ) as Perseverance clicked off the various stages to landing at Jezero Crater on Mars, went like clockwork. Remembering we still have one of the twin set of rovers from the last mission still working to make important research about the Red Planet.  

As I have gotten older and software has allowed equipment like the rover to do as much research if not more, than humans, my favor falls on this kind of mission over using humans.Sending humans to the moon is one thing, sending them to places that are months of travel just to get there and months to get back, to me, does not respect human life with our ability to keep up medically or other things, like some one dying unexpectedly when you are months from home base. But, there are those that would disagree. 

Nice Job NASA guys. Nice Job.

No comments:

Just a Kid when the Northern Lights were seen by me. This week, I missed the first night and last night it was cloudy.

Thank goodness I can say that I have at least seen the most fab light show in nature.  Today will be 100 % rain. It's another indoor day...