Friday, June 26, 2020

Like A Cholocate Chip Cookie with Walnuts and Powdered Sugar on Top

Well, today was a bitter sweet kind of day. Mom always preached about how important it was to have balance. I guess the bitter sweet is kind of like that in some ways.Since the Monday before Thanksgiving ( that is November in the US) until today, my balance has been up and down. In the hospital, out of the hospital. Covid-19 cancelled surgery, re schedule, cancelled again. And, to top it off in Grand Maul fashion, my car got totaled last week. This week, I was driving a rental car but that came to a close today when the car was returned to my favorite car rental place. My old car was purchased on line in January,2007; about  six months after it began life as a new District Manager's car in San Antonio. I found it on line, called, set up an appointment and drove to San Antonio (5 hours from Dallas) and drove it home ( another 5 hours). I called it a new car with a built-in road-trip. There would be two more road trips in the comping years. One was when mom passed and the other one was to go back the day her marker was set ( more complicated and yet another story). The thing about those two trip were that Hotdog, my Anyssinian cat made those two trips of totaling over 1000 miles together. Ironically, I had Hotdog for 14-years and I had my car the same time (less the time between mom's death and Hotdogs).

Outside of regular maintenance, the car didn't even stop running after my accident and because it was still daylight, I could drive it home. That car knew my 18-mile-wheel-shoot-field grid like it was a dog with his special toy,blanket or pool float. Now, it sits waiting for the insurance tow truck to take it away.

So, when I turned in the rental today, it was a victory lap around the wagon wheel one last time. With that, I am without a car and likely to remain that way. Transportation is never as cheap as the one you have, it is often said by someone, whoever. I've heard that phrase since I had my first little sports car, my 1963 Pontiac Lemans Coup with a three-speed on the floor. 

Having said all that (it really was a part of my storytelling). The final miles was a loop through the high meadows. The sight was stunning and shocking. Kind of like the forthcoming bitter-sweet end that was nearing). My comparison estimates to past years, the meadows are about two months ahead of normal. But, there were a hand full of super shots that get into that class of "money shots". A somber smile with a turned up dimple on one side of my face was offered to the old car for all the trips we made around that wagon wheel grid where our urban photos had been made. To bid the old car good bye is both the bidder and the sweet.

When uploading from my camera to the computer this afternoon, the total shots made today were the most shots made since this hospitalization, surgeries, infections all began. I still wear my Covid-19 (copy on the band) that stated that I was Pre-screened and negative.


No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...