Saturday, June 27, 2020

A Wondering Fool or a Heart at Rest.....Create A Ripple

At the end of last nights slumber, I awoke to the sound in my head of the 1949 tune by Terry Gilkyson, that was first recorded by legend, Frankie Laine. That song has played out in my thoughts over the years at various times, most of which I cannot remember the reason. But, to hear that song again in my head out of no where was a curiousness that I got to thinking about.

As the day wore one, all I could remember was the refrain:

My heart knows what the wild goose knows
And I must go where the wild goose goes

Wild goose, brother goose which is best?
A wondering fool or a heart at rest?


There are several other verses about a guy and his love in the wilderness of northern Canada in a cabin. But it has always been for me, the refrain that I grew to love about the song. It helped me to use a heart at rest throughout my life---good times and bad. However, the Canadian goose has always fascinated me over other bird species. There are more and more Canadian geese showing up in Texas and staying the entire year. In fact, I have several images of them, including a pair that raised several here in Texas below the I-35/I635 interchange. A Canadian goose born and bred in Texas!!! Imagine that!

And, as usual in my hunt for things, I end up finding things that I had looked for before and never found. Today, was no exception. And yesterday was the same way. My rental car took me on a tour of my Shoot Wheel Grid.

I have known an anthropologist in years past and about ten years ago, I ran into another on Twitter. He was an associate professor of Anthropology at U Mass. He writes a blog like me, He lost a brother and I a son, He has a laid back approach and in general, he is an amazing man. He also maintains his blog as a labor or love just as I maintain my blog for the very same reason. He recently posted an essay titled: "16 Reasons We Should Have Civil War in the U.S."

When I got the email of his posting a few days back, I put it on hold to read until later when I had  a chance to clear out my mind from the past week following the accident. So, this morning, I had an opportunity after breakfast to refresh my thoughts on the song mentioned above. Then, I clicked on Pat's email and read his posting. There, in the comments following the 16 reasons were a couple of quotes. Both were like the last two pieces of a puzzle being put together.

First was Carl von Clausewitz quote "Although our intellect always longs for clarity and certainty, our nature often finds uncertainty fascinating.

Second was a quote from Terry Pratchett."no one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away."

Thank you,Pat for your post. Especially, these two quotes. It also reminded me that I should begin to look for the picture that you sent me a couple of years back of a snow pile with a shovel sticking in the top with the caption: "I'm in here somewhere." In fact, to your readers and mine, lets all go out and create some good and worthwhile ripples!!! That's called a legacy, isn't it?

Gas Prices in Texas as of  06-26-20




No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...