Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Who, The Why, Oh! That's Easy

A couple of weeks ago, down at the bridge, a retired engineer was looking at the bridge work. After a few minutes, he ask, "what's the name of this bridge? "  That question set me back a bit. I'm thinking to myself, he said that he was a retired engineer and he didn't know the name of the bridge? Then, I said," this is the Margaret McDermott bridge, but I called it the Maggie 2." He then ask, " why do you call it that?" My reply this time came with an added explanation.

When the first bridge was built, I had photographed the construction from the first piling being drilled until the tables were set with china, stemware, silverware, flowers and menus for the contestants that had entered a contest of some sort, but for me, it was the end of the construction photographs. Then, when the discovery was made that the second bridge was, indeed, going to be built and it would be named for Margaret McDermott, for my ease in indexing my images, I knew that I would need some way to shorten up the names for identification. Maggie is a moniker or nickname for Margaret, Since both bridges are named Margaret the first one build is number 1 and the second one is number 2. But, looking at the architecture, one has one arch and two has two arches so,  Maggie 1 and Maggie 2 fits well because it names the first bridge build as number one and it has one arch. The second bridge built has two arches. Since both names are Margaret--Maggie is common to both bridges. Therefore, Maggie one and Maggie two is an easy way to accurately identify the two bridges.

After confirmation that the second bridge design was final it became fairly clear quickly that the answer would be simple. Keeping in mind that this was my way to shorten up the indexing. It is based on fact. Probably, this turned out to be  the easiest method that I have ever used  to index images. I was a bit surprised to find that it actually works well to separate the two bridges quickly, easily and have that id based in actual fact. So, I started called the two bridges Maggie 1 and Maggie 2. You can easily follow along with the captions on the image that follows.

Here are the two bridges. The one on the left is Maggie1, the Margaret Hunt Hill bridge.

The one on the right is Maggie 2, the Margaret McDermott bridge.





So, looking at this bridge, quickly, it  is the Maggie 2. It was built second in time and it has two arches. It's also named Margaret or Maggie.  Easy as beans!

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...