Sunday, August 7, 2016

Why A Circuit?

With the sixth straight day of 100 to 100+ temperatures (the low at night never falls below 80-degrees F when we have these stretches)  staying inside in the AC is a given. One would think that you get a lot of work caught up, but it never works that way. Production of images and copy run at their lowest during these times. That is, until I get cabin fever and grab the water jug and camera bag and head out because I can't stand it any longer. Funny how when you are snowed in for days or heated it does the same thing. Those kind of trips are far between also because the heat is actually hard on your car. The motor heats up, the temps are high and batteries die, hoses pop and wires fry. Out side of that, Texas is a great place nine months out of the year!

The other day, I had a person walk up to me and start talking. They were curious about what kind of photos I like to shoot. My standard reply to that question ( I get it a lot) is: "The good ones"!  Sometimes it brings a smile. Sometimes a chuckle, sometimes, a look of bewilderment. Bewilderment here is the proverbial head-scratch. I love those the best.

After explaining what type of photos I shoot, it actually usually raises more questions than it answers because people generally have a perception of photographers  shooting people individually or as a family for money. I don't do that.

The other perception is that photographers shoot lots of birds and landscape scenes. I don't do that, either. What I do shoot is  editorial images as a hobby and textures that are used and seen in commercials, television or videos or theater sets and fabric and specialty items. So all you graphic artist driving the vector markets at the moment, have no fear. I'm not out to bump you off that little crazed gold-mind that you have discovered--until that fad runs it's course as it usually does.

But, this urban cowboy who shoots urban does drive a circuit of approximately 38 miles. Picture a wagon wheel. The hub is my base. Each spoke is approximately 18.5 miles (remember, you have to drive home, too!) Most of the time, when I reach the outer boundary of 18.0 miles, I will cross over a block or two and return down the neighboring street. Hence, 38 miles. Alright sometimes, its 39. Detours!

So, why do you do that, they ask? Well, you can drive a route over and over and over and see the same thing, It's part of the game. But, then, you see earth-moving equipment, construction trailers that have popped up in the center of a field and it sends out an alarm-type bell in your head. Hum! Something is happening here. So you put that spoke on your shoot list to come back later--usually earlier than your next planned trip. Things change. Growth happens. Development occurs. New  and interesting architecture, objects or textures appear. Old buildings disappear.  That's why you drive a circuit.

My wagon wheel goes out north, south, east and west. Then, it's cut into eights like a pie or cake, or pizza  (didn't want to leave a bakery chef out of the mix here, after all, dough is dough!). Oh, I love a good corny pun. If you do any calculations at all, you have figured out already that if  I go out every day, then that is a  whole wheel in eight days. Right, you are. Providing I don't have a doctor's appointment, or the weather is stormy, or I just don't feel like dragging this old carcass out. I plan grocery shopping and med pick-ups to co inside with re-shoots which are few but they do happen now and then for reasons of heavy traffic, or lighting or unplanned events like a funeral etc.etc. But, on the whole, it's about a two-month cycle with a six turn event calendar that editors use when they purchase images for editorial or use a texture as a banner on a web page. In short, I like it like that, to be frank. This past week it validated exactly what I have been saying for several years.Every one has their nose in their phone and don't look up for anything. Watch some one on their phone get into their car. They don't even look up from their laps for several minutes to start their car and back out of a parking space. It's pathetic. The new phase of the old Pokèmon points this out. One report even said: "People are actually talking to people again and finding common ground for new friendships". Well, I'll be!! Imagine that. Something out of the past!! Or my most hated phrase: Back in the day! History isn't being taught anymore.  I guess because  no one uses dates any longer or generic names. Imagine some young history teacher standing up before his class talking about," Back in the day when George Wash tossed a coin across a river."  Don't get me started again!

Here is one example of something that popped up on one of those spokes. Rather, creative, new and interesting at a normally stressful, sad and emotional place. I don't mention where the site is anymore as people go out and add work for the kind people who allowed me to shoot the thing in the first place. At my age, I have come to understand that common sense is not so common any more. Blame that on technology!
New on the circuit.

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...