Monday, September 30, 2013

It's Time to Pull Arthur Gordon Off the Shelf Again

The Power in Purposeful Pausing
There's an old paperback on my bookshelves that was gifted to me in 1991 by a very dear friend. That book is a book filled with inspirational stories and graduation speeches over the years by the author, Arthur Gordon. There are two stories that I dearly love. One, is his meeting of Rudyard Kipling and the other is his meeting with Tom Watson. There are also quotes from Einstein, Stevenson  and Thoreau among others. In short, the little book is packed with inspiration and collected wisdom.

One of the chapters that I like in particular is, The Power in Purposeful Pausing. We have all heard the old cliché, take time to smell the roses. This chapter takes that to levels beyond. Art Linkletter said of Arthur Gordon that he" really knows how to make his reader fall in love with life."

So when my soul needs that little shot of vitamin to carry it alone, I reach to the shelves and pull down Arthur Gordon. I can't read a chapter without making more marginal notes. It's like having no  flour in the kitchen, no salt and pepper on the table. Sometimes, a good book that you can turn to is better than trips to the doctor and the pharmacy.

Here's a visual of how you feel after reading a chapter or two.

 

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...