Monday, September 23, 2013

John Carpenter's Little Ranch Packed!

John Carpenter had a little ranch that he called Las Colinas. Saturday that former ranch was covered with people from one end to another. The Irving Convention Center was hosting a walk for poverty. I got caught up in  the traffic for that and waited 27-minutes for the marchers to pass.  Then when the last of the marchers had passed and the street was opened up for traffic, it was soon to be discovered that Irving police had blocked off my usual entry into the Lake Carolyn venue for the National Red Bull Flugtag.

 I had spent 40-minutes already in bumper-to-bumper traffic on LBJ 635 as a result of a Monte Carlo facing east bound in the west bound lanes with its front and rear wheels and axels ripped off the car's frame. A young girl in Daisy Duke attire was leaning up against a barrier wall inside a circle of Dallas Police Cars that had encircled at least three lanes of traffic blocking off the accident and its passenger on the barrier wall.

 So, after a couple of trips in circles on the service roads and Las Colinas Blvd., I drove the car into the entry to the Grand Trevino, paid my 5-bucks for the day, grabbed my camera bag and water jug and headed out for about a 10-block walk. There were several photographers at the media tent and a young girl who was clueless was trying to tell us that our cameras would not be allowed inside. After about 30-minutes of discussion, she had worn down everyone but myself and one other photographer. It's funny that this whole image thing has just gone wild with everyone with a camera phone in their pocket or purse, even some of those now have packs that can accommodate changeable lens like a DSLR camera. What's even more amazing is that there is now a phone camera that has 43 pixs. That's more than some DSLR's. It's amazing.After that, I didn't even bother picking up my wrist band until about an hour before I was ready to leave.

People were curb-to-curb, wall-to-wall,elbow-to-elbow. The lines at the food trucks stretched across the roadways that normally are used to walk to and fro. I've never been able to understand why people don't bend the lines at an angle so as not to block the roadways but that would take my friend, Patrick, the anthropologist at U Mass , some research time to figure out. And Patrick, while you are at it, can you tell me why the people in lines then get mad at the people trying to get up and down the street when they have to cut through the lines just to get from point A to B?

At first, I was going to ride the Orange Line out, but then I remembered that the People Movers didn't work on the weekends and I figured what's the use. Walking was a major distance thing at this event. If you were an observer in the "beach" area and had to make a trip to the port-a-potties, good luck.The walk was more than a little jaunt. It's more like the 'red trail" for the experienced hiker. As I am walking back to the Grand T where my car had stayed in cool shade, I discovered that the People Movers were, indeed, working and from the Orange Line station, I could have used the PM to cover that entire distance. I sat in my car in the parking garage in line for 18-minutes just to exit. The Orange Line gets my vote from here on out. Dart was running three full cars on the Orange Line,too! Dressed in Flugtag blue vinal wrap!

All-in-all, it turned out pretty well. Now, I just have to rest up for the re-birth of Big Tex and the opening of the State Fair on Friday! At least I can have a corny dog and a coke while I'm resting inline.
This was one of the small lines

Anyone gives you any trouble tell 'em Sue said it was okay!.Sue with the yellow glasses? No, I'm not Sue.

It Ain't Gonna Fly! No Way!

No comments:

April Steps Fell, Weather brought shut-in days. Happy May Day, Too!

Springtime in Texas is mixing up the cold air with the warm moist Gulf air inflow, but it was still, a pretty good month weather, health and...