Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Meet an Old Friend at the Drug Store!


When I was growing up there was not a Walgreen's in our town. There was a Rexall Drug Store. When we went for serious shopping, we went to a bigger town. They had a Walgreen's Drug Store and it had a lunch counter. The fountain drinks were tasty and the food was a treat even though you might have had some of it at home,too. But back at home, I still remember going to the grocery store to get a six-pack of coke. The six-pack was just that......but, it was six-six ounce green bottles.Here was the best part. They cost five-cents per bottle with a two-cent bottle deposit because the bottles were glass. You could put them in the freezer and when the caps were removed, you only got some brown cola foam because the neck of the bottle was frozen solid. It would take several minutes before the frozen plug thawed enough that you could drink the coke and it was cold and a fun treat all at the same time.

Today, I went to the new Walgreen's near my house. I like having a Walgreen's that close. I like to buy the Russell Stover maple eggs at Easter, Halloween, Christmas and St. Valentine's Day. The new Walgreen's does not have a lunch counter, though. But, I wish that it did. There isn't many Rexall Stores like I remembered around anymore. So, over the years, things have changed from a business stand point. As I left the Walgreen's on my way to the grocery store, as I came around the side of Walgreen's to the curb-cut for the street, there sat my old friend. It just struck me---I was hungry again for a toasted tuna sandwich with lettuce and pickle and a big paper cone in a stainless steel cup holder filled with crushed ice and Coke! Oh, somethings change but I'm sure glad my old friend Coke has stayed the same--pretty much!

No comments:

Cannot do any hurkle-durkling or any WCS. I already burned that candle on Wednesday

 What the heck is he talking about? You don't want the long answer because that goes back 200 years where it began as a Scots term. The ...