Sunday, June 11, 2023

Summer is Arriving Early with 112° F Heat Index and several days of 100 and above.

 So, while the heat will limit activity to early morning and early evening, I will be in under the AC and working on indexing images that I have been putting off for a bit. Today, I said to one of my brothers that this is when I miss living in the Great Lakes. They are 70's all week while we begin the slow roast of Texas summer heat. Come on Labor Day.

The header image of Old Red, the former Dallas County Courthouse, was my last photography shoot downtown to update my previous shoot from the old camera to a new take with the new camera and more up-to-date technology. 

The reason that Old Red was selected was that the gargoyles are more visible now. I have always liked the old architecture for the reason that those little scary creatures that adorn that type of architecture was a bit of humor, I thought.  To me, it was always an expression by the architect, so-to-speak. Even if he did it to say, "Look at the money you paid me to do this"  or some other aspect of the job. While the 13th century figures were designed to scare to protect the building. They also were the precursor to our modern day gutters. However one thought of them, I have just liked them for years. In old Gothic buildings of stone, I look for them. But, there is that unspoken bit of humor about them as well. 

I had to bring my "Lucilles" inside. They do not like heat like described above. I started out with 500 seed and I have only 10 plants to show for it. Believe this, they are harder to grow than meets expectation, I am finding out. I have been giving them water with an eye-dropper. The potting soil is up to grade. I know that when I first saw them coming up at the Water Filtration Guard Shack, they looked so amazing. Every time I went back, they were stronger and growing to their 2-3 feet height. I've always had a green thumb. In fact, I have plants on the porch that I rooted from clippings  and even got the butt end of a stalk of celery that I saved in the crisper in a plastic bag to sprout and start its growth. So, I am thinking that growing Lucille's would be somewhat of a breeze and my only worry was that I didn't have them in a larger pot.Well, the prospects of me having a pot full of Lucille's to shoot and show you guys is looking pretty slim right now. I'll keep you posted for those that are bent over laughing about now. 





Above are a few images of some art discovered off the Denton County Court House Square three weeks ago. I also like  those kinds of discoveries while out shooting.


No comments:

The Porch Thermometer Hits 100°F Yesterday for the first time this season.

In some mitigation of that headline is that for about 30 minutes the angle of the sun hits the porch at the hottest point of the day. Still,...