Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Sometimes it's just better to stay in bed.

 Well, yesterday, I visited the Dallas Zoo. It's been a few years since being there. Things change over time and while I knew where I was, getting around was a bit of a puzzle until I could get a few landmarks down. It was pretty chilly and at first, the animals were all inside, but as it began to warm up, they also did so out in the sun. In all, I shot 7 images less than 200. Upon getting home, I was a bit tired from the walking of an up and down terrain and while I did review the images, it was only to send three of the best to my brother who had planned to go with me, but bailed the night before. He had a good reason. He still thinks he hasn't retired yet. 

So, this morning, I started to plan which images I would post on the blog today. Quickly, it was not to be. My browser did an update and wiped out all my tabs which I had to reset the whole lot. Then, out of know where, I got this strange drop down that looked okay and just as I clicked it, it changed and I ended up deleting the whole lot of the images from yesterday from the camera file, no less.

Normally, I don't save emails from my brother, but for some reason, I decided to save his reply email. That email had the three best images that I would have used today.  Downloading each one carefully, they got saved. Oh, was I mad at myself. A whole days worth of work lost. That hasn't happened for a couple of decades. But, I was still mad at myself for not double checking as I usually do. 

So, to sooth my nerves, I ate a quick lunch and headed out the door to go find some fall material. I did and while I could have shot more,the experience from yesterday left me will a nearly full card so I packed an empty card that I had thought was formatted and ready to go should such a thing happen. Well. for some reason, double checking my own process that I follow without fail, I put the card in the camera before formatting the card that was there from yesterday. Lo and Behold, the card had images that I had not seen in my files. So, I packed it in and headed home. It just was not meant to be for some reason. I've said this over and over but this time, I'm saying it to myself as a customer, "As they say in Midtown Manhattan, you'll have that from time to time, yes, you will."

                                                        He misses his brother
                Enlarge to 100% for details of head feathers---which are outstanding
I had some head shots of the baby giraffe and the older mature one. The zoo had just had their third baby born just a couple of days ago. One from the earlier births this year did die later on, but I always enjoy the long necks. The have such expressions that make me chuckle as I wonder what must they be thinking about us?

This Condor is also an amazing bird. The middle image is my favorite of the three. It is a Red-legged Seriema from the South American countries (Cariama Cristata). Beautiful bird with an amazing head dressing. The Cheetah, I caught crying for his brother that had been moved to the vet's for a check up.

No comments:

Just a Kid when the Northern Lights were seen by me. This week, I missed the first night and last night it was cloudy.

Thank goodness I can say that I have at least seen the most fab light show in nature.  Today will be 100 % rain. It's another indoor day...