Sunday, January 16, 2022

Two Hubcaps in One Mile

Since I have been walking more and more lately as my healing processes recover, I'm spotting things more as if I were walking with my cameras out. The cameras are in my backpack but I have also been selective in what I shoot, too. A price has been paid for it, also. Still, the repositioning of priorities have been worth it at the same time.
 To drive home that point, a couple of days ago my digital bus pass didn't start until noon and I had left the house at 10:30 that morning. It was a very nice day for January---almost mid January at that. So, I just started walking , figuring that when I got tired, I'd make it to the bus stop and wait for the bus. I also understand that streets are laid out on a 1-mile grid. It's easy to keep track of the miles that I do walk. At one point in my life, I had a timetable of distance traveled from point A to point B in time as well as distance. Since I was 14, I never minded work. What I did mind was having to do work twice because of someone else not doing their job correctly the first-time. That's a whole new story.

 
But, as I was walking the route, I saw buses that I would normally ride zipping past me like no tomorrow. Along that route I also noticed a lot more trash than normal and I also noticed some strange objects lost or tossed from  cars; so on and so forth. Then came the hub cap. In perfect condition as most are, generally. Then, less than a half mile farther down the route lay another hubcap. Different than the first one, but in good condition. There are places that have made a very good living for buying those items and reselling them at a discount. Sometimes even back to the very person who's car tossed them from hitting a pot hole or what not.
 
 The one place that came to mind while living in the Great Lakes area was a place that conjure up a nefarious name like Midnight Parts. Here in Dallas, the popular place was Sandy's Hubcaps. As I walked past those caps, I wondered if Sandy's was still in business today. I don't get down that way anymore, but I should walk that way from a train station just to see the history as it might have changed. A couple of weeks ago I went past a couple of places that I normally passed every day.



 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Cannot do any hurkle-durkling or any WCS. I already burned that candle on Wednesday

 What the heck is he talking about? You don't want the long answer because that goes back 200 years where it began as a Scots term. The ...