Tuesday, August 11, 2020

An Angle Abides

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it."  ~  Hebrews  13:2

Thomas Carlyle wrote that,"Music is well said to be the speech of angles. 


Long have I known the verse from the Christian bible. It has in some way always stuck with me and a deeper understanding has grown over the years. Since I have let loose of my car, I really do not have trouble filling my day. I cook more, I read more, I listen to WRR's classical programing as I edit pictures and most of all, I set aside a bit of time--not long periods-- but little breaks throughout my workday in which to think.

When I was driving, just prior to the Corona Virus meltdown, on one leg of my Shoot Wheel, as  I parked my car, a man waved at me. I did not know him. Unpacking my camera, I started shooting some wild flowers that the city of Richardson had planted. They were in full bloom. As I walked about the flower bed shooting, the  man  came over to me and was asking about photography. In talking to him. He was most interested in music. I said to the man that," music and photography go together like peanut butter and bread. It sticks with you forever. Or, it can stand alone nicely, as well"  He laughed and said that he was just out taking a stroll. I continued shooting some flowers along an alley fence and as I came out from the alley to go to my car, giving the little park a glance to wave at him upon leaving, he was no where to be seen. Making a mental note of how strange it felt for some reason, I got into my car to continue my shoot route. 

This past week I remembered that scripture verse and pulled down my Arthur Gordon from the shelf. As good as his book is, there wasn't anything about angels there. Then, I turned to my little library and came across my old copy of the Chicken Soup series. There popped out a brief story on angles. I reread the story again submitted by Rosemary Goodwin. There it was in a category named, Angles Among Us. The story was very much like I had experienced with the man that ask about photography.

 That got me to thinking even more and I can recall at least two other experiences like that over the years. It was like the person appeared out of no where and then was gone with no trace of them again after a short  period of time. It was not a fluke. It had a veil of mystery about it that stuck with me over time. 

When the summer's heat breaks and I am able to get out and walk for periods of time, I will be more entertaining than I have been in the past.There was just something that felt different-- not in a threatening way of sorts but just some kind of void that allowed me to respond to his question about photography and not really entertain him with a lot of questions.  

Since I was a kid,  I have believed in Angles. I have shot statues of them in cemeteries to museums. They have their own mystery about their beings While I have lots of unanswered questions about the mysteries of faith, doubting any of it is just not going to happen. There are to many other things where I have resolved questions about life that were answered in my thoughts some years later. 


No comments:

Construction Zone

 Saw the National Weather Service Summer Forecast yesterday. It ain't pretty. More Hot than the two record years of the past. That set t...