Friday, March 9, 2018

The Littlest Falcon

It was 76 degrees today. The down side was a 20-25 MPH wind gusting to 35. While the wind came from the southwest, it still had a bit of a chill at times because the humidity was only 25 percent. Quickly, I made my rounds and discovered the second Kestrel Hawk. Three days ago, I ran across the first one to have actually seen. Some of the bird photographers had talked about the little Kestrel being here or there, but I had never seen it myself. The reason why I call this one the second one is that miles in another direction I had again seen one perched in a tree. Then across the park on the other end, here was this one. My distance was to far for a really good closeup but I did get a couple of fairly clean shots enough to identify it as a Kestrel and  another first happened. That's two first in three days this season already. This one was not something that you really aim for, although, as it turned out, just as I was about to click the shutter, the darn bird pooped and as Murphy's law would dictate, the image was crystal clear! All I can say is Amazing! Simply amazing or the luck of the Irish since St. Pat's Day is  a week away after today. Where is my gold clover pin??
 
Then, as I was on the way home, I was buzzed by the old buzzards again. Now that's unreal to have that happen not only the first time but to have it happen again within three days. They are almost as evasive  as egrets to shoot. Never did get a clear shot, but the best one that I was able to get today was through the sunroof as he flew over head.

In between those two bird excursions  I have long joked about there not being a tulip on Tulip Lane or an Iris in Iris Hollow---and there isn't. But, I found a bunch of isolated daffodils on a hillside and went into the parking lot closest to the patch and then walked the road for a fair distance with the high wind. I got only a couple of shots that would work here and that sent me to KFC to get dinner and home bound I headed, tired, hungry and  wind blown. I've been a bit in a less than creative mood lately.
Kestrel Hawk or Sparrow Hawk

A cluster of daffodils on a hill side

The Ole Buzzard Is Back!

No comments:

Cannot do any hurkle-durkling or any WCS. I already burned that candle on Wednesday

 What the heck is he talking about? You don't want the long answer because that goes back 200 years where it began as a Scots term. The ...