Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Meteorological Spring. It's the Real Deal!

Happy Spring, folks. Yes, I know some of you are already saying that I'm rushing the season already, but actually, it is the first day of spring in meteorological terms. Spring is March 1 to May 31. So what happened to the 20 or 21 or 22 days you were waiting to arrive? They are still there. But it's called astronomical spring--the traditional seasons as earth moves around our sun. It's important to know the difference and I'll leave it at that.

But, I do not want to make you work that hard so to better explain it, this appeared in the Accu Weather site today. It reads: "The spring season associated with the vernal equinox, called astronomical spring, happens on or around March 21 in the Northern Hemisphere, but meteorologists recognize March 1 as the first day of meteorological spring, which is based on annual temperature cycles and the Gregorian calendar".

So, yesterday, even though I had an appointment with my doctor and it took longer than I though it would, it was completely overcast and tons of moisture had moved in while I was at the doctors office. When I did come out, my whole schedule had changed. There was some images taken on the go and that is what is posted today. Enjoy, and hey, drop me an email now and then and let me know what you think about the images or if you have seen something in the past and just want to follow up. My readers are important to me.
Soccer fields look great.

More and more facilities are installing these. 
 They are lightening alert systems.These are used at most sports facilities, golf courses and amusement parks. They can detect lightening 20 miles away and the warning will sound to alert those at the facility. Technology really is good.

This is deep in a large thicket where reports continue to come in that wild orchids and flying squirrels have been documented  with a site of both by naturist.

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...