Monday, November 23, 2015

The Big One!

Most of the past few months has been focused on the subject matter of  leaves. In fact, there were a few post  written about it on this blog. It's not an exciting subject to some, but overall, it is key subject matter from the most basic definition of landscapes.

With the flooding rains in May, it was just a give me that the foliage was going to be super this fall and it was hoped  that the colors would survive the later returning drought after the flooding rains of the spring. One never knows what will developed. All one can do is to base future events outcomes  on past events of weather during a season based on  seasonal averages. Sometimes it works. Other times, the odds favor the house (mother nature).

While last week was pretty much the end of leaf hunting, Murphy's Law always plays its hand late. Today, the king of leaves turned up almost right under my foot. Guessing, it had to be 8 1/2 inches across and 6-inches in the stem to tip width. When I had put the tape measure to it, it turned out the be 11 1/2 inches across and 7-inches stem to tip. It sure was the largest sycamore tree leaf that I have ever found.

With 2-4 inches of rain, wind and another cold front due from Thanksgiving thru Saturday,  Most likely, the colors will fall for sure with this weather system. Some of the bright colors have already dimmed a bit since the last threat following last Monday's rain and wind. This bout will surely bring the leaves down and the color will be gone for another season.

I've made a third trip to one tree to capture the most unusual bark that I have seen. Today, I had just shot a couple of images  to see how the lighting was going to come out, but I have decided that it's not the lighting so much or all the normal things that jinks an image in a technical way. This trouble in capturing the bark as it really looks is in the tree. The tree is not ready to reveal its true beauty just yet. So, if I have to go back four time or five or even six times, As a photographer, it's worth that effort to catch the true beauty of another living thing--the subject tree.

While I almost forgot to shoot the tree that produced the massive leaf, It is within itself an unusual tree that I had not noticed until today. It's a sycamore that was hiding right in the middle of the ring of sycamores that I had been shooting this month. I'm always amazed at nature.
11 1/2 inches by 7-inches

The tallest tree is the sycamore that has been hiding in plain sight and produced the massive leaf.
Katie, the Mute Swan at White Rock Lake, that was so sick, seems to be enjoying her normal quality of life once again.

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...