Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Dallas High Five

Doing a little research on the High Five after-the-fact turned up some interesting facts.
1. There are 5-high interchange stacks in Houston
2. There are 5-high interchange stacks in Los Angeles

Dallas is the third major city in the US with 5-high stacks. What was discovered is that the Dallas High-5 is 10 feet taller than the 5-high stack in California. California's is 110 feet above grade and the Dallas High 5 is 120 feet above grade.

It was early on that I was sure that while on the 5th level, I was able to look eye level at the 10th floor  of one building. Well, I forgot to figure the angle difference into the equation and that accounts for two more floors.  That, is absolutely somewhat insane, but the more you drive it, the more you adjust and it doesn't seem that it is really that bad. Then, on the other hand, the Ambassador Bridge that carries traffic from the US at Detroit into Windsor, Ontario, Canada is a beautiful suspension bridge. The height from the crown of the bridge deck to the water line below on the Detroit River is---yep--120 feet. That ads a whole different perspective to the equation.

I do remember when the fist column was being poured at the old cloverleaf at 75 and 635. I drove it every day then. But that one column, that is the tallest of them all (200 plus columns) , was like looking at a towering red wood. I just could not wrap my brain around a roadway on top of that column.

It is easy to see unsuspecting travelers using either 635 or US 75 being in a stage of fear or fright. I'm just amazed that more have not  frozen up.
The Heart of the Dallas High 5 Interchange

 

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...