Sunday, March 17, 2024

Missed the 43rd St.Patrick's Day Parade because of the heavy rain forecast




I do not mix rain with my camera equipment. I know, it sounds like an excuse, but at my age, past cameras and experience has taught some painful lessons. For those that are thinking that they make waterproof and equipment covers. Yeah! Right. Most of those critics don't live in

North Texas, either. Heavy rain this time of year can produce hail the width between your outside little finger and the far inside of your middle finger. That is generally 3-inches in diameter using the standard golden ratio 1.614 rule. No cover is going to protect your equipment from that. And, as Sophia said on the "Golden Girls",  "you never know." 

With the location of the standard yearly parade route, I  could not use the bus and would have to use the Red Line or the Orange Line. I didn't want to be confined in a rail car where most of the 80 to 150K would be riding. The route spread over three rail stations  could walk it, I have before--just not in a mass crowd and everyone with their gear, or National Weather Service Severe Storm forecast for heavy rain and hail.  So, sorry. It was a health and safety thing for me and a health and safety thing for the equipment. There will be other special events. Even the Grand Marshall, Mike Madono  has his statue unveiling at the AAC posponed for the afternoon to the evening, during a game at the AAC.

 

                                      

No comments:

Wildlife Images are interesting in urban nature settings.

                                           I still have to pinch myself that I caught this capture a few years back, like pre-Covid days. I ...