Sunday, April 2, 2023

Second Quarter Began Yesterday, Holy Week Begins Today. A new camera. Better weather.Relearning new settings

 Holy Week Begins today.  The most important week of the Christian liturgical year. Celebrating the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.

Well, the first quarter of 2023 was a better than average month for sales, walking more miles, having better weather and experimenting with new camera body and more new lens. Yesterday, I walked from my bus stop to the train station. Along the way, I meet a young fisherman; had Lyft driver see me sitting on my stool in a parking lot and wanted to know if I was his Lyft customer; a couple of ladies on the way to a relatives birthday party were picking through interesting curbside give-a-ways. I photographed the religious diversity on the walk. Toured a middle east bakery, had a sandwich at a small deli and made it to the train station. The bus arrived within a few minutes and I boarded for the ride home. At my stop, I said to my regular driver, I walked from here to the train station, 8,870 steps. He looked at me and said with a radiant smile, "WOW!" 

At home, I uploaded my shots and began to edit. I found a few problems with the new settings and worked on that so the next time I am in that same situation, I will hopefully have made the adjustments for a better shot. In the edit, where I had shot a couple of Canadian Geese sunning, I found the fisherman in the shot as well. Frankly, with the new lens, I had not opened it up fully and had I done so, he would not have been in the shot. However, in wider scope of things, it added to the shot of how comfortable the geese were around humans. That, within itself, amplified the geese and made for a better shot overall. Thank you, Mr. Fisherman. Anytime, you want a copy of that image, I will license it for your personal use. 

One thing that I did notice was that with these new lens, I can get better aerial shots of birds, planes and even cloud formations. I test shot all three and the results were pretty good. One that really blew me away was that I know where the vectors for the approach to DFW runways reside in my area and I saw one that would have been about 20 miles out to the final approach. I shot it and when I could read the tail logo, I actually did a fist pump! However, my days out to Founder's Plaza at DFW are done unless I can find someone going there and will let me hitch a ride. However, I could ride the TEXrail to the north station and shoot from there, I suppose. In fact, I might even try that. On a good weather day, I could get a Lyft (I've had it Uber) from the north station to Founder's plaza I suppose, making the day expenses cheaper. That's the one area that I can't find a solution to since I sold my car and started shooting the wagon wheel from bus and train routes. Not bad for a 4-sided 45 mile arch. That says a lot about the Dallas Transportation System that covers 4 counties. That's another project to work on.


Two Crows in a tree
The commercial plane on the left is a Lufthansa 777,
                                                    A beautiful setting for a corner lot


No comments:

The Porch Thermometer Hits 100°F Yesterday for the first time this season.

In some mitigation of that headline is that for about 30 minutes the angle of the sun hits the porch at the hottest point of the day. Still,...