Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Stuff. Definitely Stuff

It's hard letting go of things, both animate and inanimate. Of course, I have long suspected that fact but this morning showed me just how hard it is to let go--again.

The tow truck arrived at 07:30 this morning to take away my old car that was totaled in an accident. As I watched the tow truck drive away, it was about as sad as I have been from recent experiences in years. That car was purchased online from Enterprise Rental Cars in San Antonio. I drove down to SA to pick it up in the first week of January 2007. It had 22,000 miles on the odometer. At the time of the accident, with the most of the front smashed inward it had  rolled up 129,000 miles and some how was still running. I was able to drive it home where it sat until today. It also was the car that Hotdog and I traveled over 1000 miles two times after my mom passed away. So the memories of Hotdog in that car was probably more difficult for me in letting go.

The car had been hit by carts on the right side by shopping carts at Sam's Club. The left side door was smashed in my a  flat bed cart at that same Sam's Club. It has been hit in the rear by a car that was highly suspected at being involved in an insurance claim scheme. Luckily, the police were setting in traffic as I made my turn and immediately hit by a car that pulled out of line. Now, this accident involved the front end so the little old car had been hit on all four sides over a 14-year period. There were a few dimples over that time that was caused by hail stones hitting other cars and bouncing on the header of the passenger door. Still, that little machine was tough and the most reliable car that I have ever owned in my lifetime.

But time moves on and change happens so the old normal vs. new normal will be an adjustment to deal with. I think that my new normal is going to be without a car. Period.

 It's just a matter of changing habits and while I was waiting for the insurance adjusters and claims people, I began to think about my new normal. With Covid-19 still surging, avoidance of crowds and  that even has driven me to grocery and drug store deliveries. It's been a pretty neat experience while I continue to let my heart muscle heal from the Ablation. That's a lot of stuff. Definitely stuff. Although, this time of year with Texas heat blooming, It's not a bad time to be inside under the AC, either.

Now, as I adjust to all the stuff, I hope to be able to get out a bit more when fall draws more near. It's amazing too, that some of the things that I regularly shoot have been cancelled. Even the State Fair Board announced  this morning that for the first time since World War II, there will not be a Texas State Fair this year. So, with that, it buys me a bit more time to regain my strength and work on healing all the downfalls of surgeries aftermaths. This year, 2020 has been a doozie. There is no question that it has topped the past years downfalls.


A fir tree in hot Texas Sun
A reminder to think!

No comments:

Wildlife Images are interesting in urban nature settings.

                                           I still have to pinch myself that I caught this capture a few years back, like pre-Covid days. I ...