Monday, November 18, 2019

The Steamboat Was Back On The Lake Yesterday

Several years ago when I heard (before I saw) the sound of a steamboat whistle, it just didn't fit. At first, I tried to write it off. It is just not possible to have a steamboat on this lake.Well, I was proven wrong when I saw  coming across the water,  a guy standing at the helm with long leather gloves, one hand stretched forward and resting on a piece of equipment.

The Dallas Morning News had published an article about the guy who built the steamboat from an old sailboat. It was amazing. Hearing a true steam whistle was a sound that is so distinct you always know that sound from any other.

About a month ago I saw the guy and his boat back on the lake. Then Sunday, I saw him on the lake  going up White Rock Creek under the Mockingbird Bridge. Later in the day, the guy from Hooters drove his little boat car drove down the boat ramp and was going across the water with people running with their cameras to snap a shot of something that they had never before seen. In fact, it is this last statement that has brought me back to the lake time and time again over the past 20 years. Its the unusual. The different. Always something different. And it is these very things that will bring back all the people who were running for the boat ramp with their cameras trying to get a picture of the little car puttering across the water for years to come. I could not bring myself to ask those people if any of them saw the steam boat?

 Click on any of the images to enlarge all three for better viewing.

See the two steam whistles in from of the pipe stack?


If you are interested in the boat car....there is a post in the archive with pictures.

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...