Thursday, April 11, 2019

Found More Big Trees Down Today

The tree was somewhat diseased for sure but it's always amazing to me the directions that they fall. Not as expected and one of the reasons that I can't be found at the lake in super high wind days. If you have ever heard that sound of a cracking tree and then the quck and sudden plop and vibration on the ground, big trees and high winds don't mix. To see people parking their cars right under these monsters, it's only a matter of time before one drops on a car some where.
Even  Found one of the Kestrel Hawks Hanging Out
Although I got a late start today, I still made a shortened trip to the lake by mid afternoon. The sky had started to clear away from the clouds that came with the cold front that was pushing through dry. The wind did return, however. It blew Texas dust into South Dakota and Minnosota where it landed on top of the fresh snow as a brown coating. Imagine that!

I found more big trees that had been toppled by the strong winds of yesterday and discovered a few things as well. It appears that a pair of wood ducks were 15 feet up in a big tree right under our noses and when the branch cracked and fell, mother wood duck flew in and the chicks all bailed out of the tree, bouncing on the ground and waddling off with mom to the lake. Several people saw the event unfold and I think that I just had missed it by a few minutes according to my source that was only a few feet away when the limb cracked and dropped and then the ducks jumped out onto the ground 15 feet below. That's the thing with wood ducks and has always amazed me that the chicks do that as just a happening in nature. It's what they do!

Any now, that they survived, I have to watch and see where they will be swimming. It does concern me some as I had just witnessed the day before a big diamond-backed snake deliver what seemed to be dozens of little snakes that are now roaming for food in that same area. I know, that its part of natures way but I just hate to see cute little ducks disappear one by one until they are much larger. Also, area hospitals have reported their first snake bite of the season already. People, snakes are crawling. Don't go walking through the grass in flip flops.

Once again, the trees are on both sides of the lake. Some more prominent than others as far as being noticed. Parks will get them out of the way in due course. They have so many things going on right now including mowing and tree branch pick up.They do such a great job at keeping the lake in great condition for the size of it.

I'm back to gas rationing with the price of gas at $2.699. It means the number of spokes on the wagon wheel  will either be cut back, cut out or not be visited near as often. Right at the time when the summer shoot schedules are about to kick off, it just might have to be cancelled. And, once again, the threat of closing the website has some long shadows cast on it already.

Next to the Big Thicket Cottage

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...