Thursday, July 20, 2017

Murphy's Law is Alive and Very Well In Case Anyone Is Wondering

People love this for selfies.

I have always liked carnivals.
In a normal day, I drive the three-tenths  of a mile from my place to the front gate, make my turn onto the street and away I go. Three-tenths, mine you. It's 1.8 miles to the drugstore. If you take that .3 tenths out of that, it's 1.5 miles to the drugstore. That's where it all started. 1.5 out the gate. What can go wrong in such a short distance?

While I was out, I got a call from the drug store that my scripts were ready for pickup. First, the prescriptions had been on hold  since my doctor's visit on Monday. The drug store was out of stock and were ordering it. The web site said, "no action on your part needed." No action except for me to pay for it when I picked it up. Psychologically, they would never do that because it would be bad for business. Psychologically. After I got my long awaited scripts, I swung by the candy counter. A new girl was in the middle of the isle all sprawled out with a box that was higher than her arms so when she reached into the box, she had to lift up and over the side of the box. In short, the poor girl was not to organized. She ask if there was anything she could help me with. I just made a comment that Kroger's had Snickers for $0.69 and she had Milky Ways for $0.69  and I found that amusing. Two of the most popular candy bars in America and one is 2/$2.00 and one is $0.69 ...the exact opposite  of each other. Well, she flew off the handle and said to me with an irritated tone that she couldn't be concerned with what Kroger's did. I walked out of the isle and headed for the front door. The lady at the front who is always friendly ask what was the matter? I said to her that it wasn't a big deal. She frowned and I quickly said that the girl in the candy isle couldn't be concerned about Kroger's and I said that I can't be concerned with her attitude and I'm going to Kroger's to get my snicker bar. She laughed as she always does.
Now, the thing is, from the drug store to Kroger's parking lot it's 2.5 tenths of a mile. I went into Kroger's, got a fresh head of lettuce and walked over to the display where the hidden specials are displayed. The sign said:

Fresh food. Low prices.
Hershey's Candy
Buy 1, Get 1

FREE
1.45 oz.
Selected Varieties, 1.3-2
5 oz -with card-

save up to 99 cents
expiration date 8/16/2017

So, I got a 3 Musketeer and a Hershey's with almonds. And headed to the check out. Usually I use the self-checkouts but they were lined up and I went down the line to an open register. The lady moves in one speed--slow motion. I knew that. It's okay. Things like that do not bother me. 
She rang up the items. I said that  the lettuce was $0.99 and  candy bars were  2/$1.00. Why was my bill $3. She looked at the candy in the rack across from her check out which were market 2/$2.00. I mentioned to her that the "hidden special rack" has a sign buy one get one and it was marked 2/1,00. She wanted to argue. I put the candy bars back on her counter and said that I did not want them. 
While she was doing that, I walked to the other end got the sign and brought it back up to her register. She was still working on the removal of the two items. When she was done, I showed her the sign and ask her what did it say? She replied, looking at the regular rack 2/$2.00. I'm a bit frustrated at this point. I took the bag with head lettuce and my new receipt and walked over two registers to where "Eddie" was working. He normally is in customer service and I said," did you hear that?"... he laughed and said," yes, I did!"  Still laughing, I said to 'Eddie', "see you next trip." "Have a better day!!!" I heard him say as I walked out. 

Now, from Kroger's to McDonald's, it's a drive of less than one-tenth of a mile across the parking lot..
All total, three tenths of a mile.....imagine that! Since I didn't get my candy, I hit the drive through window for an ice cream cone and a couple of burgers for dinner. Normally the drive-thru at this McDonald's is slow as honey. That day, I zipped right through the line, got the stuff and away I headed for home. Now, it's 1.5 miles from there, plus my 03-tenths past the gate up to my place. 

It was hot, Heat indexes were at 102 and no breeze. It felt like an oven. Earlier before the pharmacy, I had been shooting and it wasn't that bad. When I opened the door and felt the cool air, I knew that dinner was nearly ready and in a few, I'd be in my comfort cloths and ready to sit down and eat. 
I opened the bag and the first shock was that there was only one burger in the bag.I looked at the receipt and I had been charged for two and the ice cream cone. Having been one, two and three-ed  by my great little business strip so close to home, my frustration and what ever else seemed like a beating for just going into the businesses, I took the receipt and called the 800 number on the ticket after calling the regular store number printed on the ticked that was never answered. The guy was nice. He said that he would have the manager call me back within two hours. I ate my burger only to discover that the burger was not what I had ordered anyway.  After eating, my phone rang.  It was the manager from  McDonald's. She was, "very sorry" and said that I can come back over and she would make it right. I said to her, "Lady, I'm not going anywhere in this heat tonight". "I'll stop by tomorrow when I'm out". 

What are the odds of being one,two-ed and three-ed in three tenths of a mile?

Today, I got a late start and was a couple of miles from home when I realized  that I had left the ticket and code in the desk drawer for McDonald's, so I made the loop and came back home to get the blasted ticket and code. My entire thought process was so shot at this point with this heat, I made the loop the other way, and came into McDonalds from the back way. I got my ice cream cone again and the bag had two burgers like I had ordered. As I sat down to eat tonight, it occurred to me that this thing had been stretched out over two days. When I opened my evening pill case, the two pills that I take in the evening with my meal were still in the compartment. I had missed taking my second dose of meds in the evening yesterday. Never have I don't that before. I always take my meds as scheduled. So if you add those to things to the other three, I had a nickles worth of frustration. I don't even want tell you about what one of my editors did. At least, while that was happening, I saw two sales take place. All in a days work! Don't  you see.


No comments:

April Steps Fell, Weather brought shut-in days. Happy May Day, Too!

Springtime in Texas is mixing up the cold air with the warm moist Gulf air inflow, but it was still, a pretty good month weather, health and...