Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Monarch's Arrive in North Texas

To me, it was getting a bit late in the season for Monarch butterflies to arrive. They leave the Great Lakes and Canada in early June. By August , usually they are enjoying the wildflowers here, stocking up on strength to make it on to Mexico  for the winter. Until today, I had not seen any! Then, like a thunderstorm arriving, they were showing up here and there more frequently and have made it here for the 2015 migration.

While watching for monarchs I ran across two senior citizens that I stop to  chat with  for a while. One is an elderly Chinese man.  We communicate with hand signals. I speak no Chinese and he speak very limited English. The second usually is sitting on a bench overlooking the lake with his wife. But, today, I got pictures of my Chinese friend fishing--as he always does. I let him know that I am going to take a picture or two and he generally agrees.

I spent about two hours shooting goldenrod and butterflies and getting my annual shot of a falling leaf onto the docks,. It's usually is one of the first trees I have found each year that drops its leaves before Halloween. Over the years, I have several file shots of that dock. Each with that trees leaves on the dock. Strangely enough, the always land in about the same place.

Here's a couple shots from this afternoon. I changed the settings on my camera today and was testing out the settings. If you haven't  figured it out by now, I don't put the ones that technically are within range to post and list with my agent on line. Funny how that works. If I could watermark the good ones, I would, but of course, they can't be sold if they are watermarked. It's a catch 22 anyway you go. Quality control in the twenty-seven cent stock marked is tuff!
A friend at the lake.
The arrival of the monarchs

Hay fever but it's still pretty.
23 September 2015: edited for clarity and to add a comment.

No comments:

April Steps Fell, Weather brought shut-in days. Happy May Day, Too!

Springtime in Texas is mixing up the cold air with the warm moist Gulf air inflow, but it was still, a pretty good month weather, health and...