Saturday, September 27, 2014

Life Recycles, But At What Cost?

 
 The original post with shots before any work done can be seen in the Archive of this blog dated April 04,2013, "The Last to go for Buckingham."
The former mail box seen below this photo, stood on the driver's side of the white pick-up truck at the end of the driveway. The street seen in the mailbox picture runs perpendicular to the truck.
The past 10-days have been a lot of discomfort for me. I have been under the weather, so-to-speak. Some of that feeling has been  a reaction to my medication. The pharmacy info sheet calls it "side-effects". I'll be nice and not mention what I call it, however. Never-the-less, the cat has been happy to have me "in-house" but she still does not like to share "her" chairs. Every now and then, I feel a paw lightly touch my back and claws begin to find the nerve endings. She's just letting me know that she is "sharing" her chair with me. I don't own a single chair in this house. I only "lease" them from the cat, don't you see?

But, I have been able to get some reading done. I've had  some enjoyable listening to some old symphonies that I haven't heard in some time. My Mahler collection is nearly complete. And, Richard Wagner -- my Lord, the man composed for the angles.

Also, I have been reviewing my complete portfolio. The one common factor that appears throughout the time line of shooting  seems to be that more and more of the images seem to be disappearing at the original shoot locations. Time causes things to change, sure, but man seems to be at the mercy of the "new age developer" that  has no interest  nor care about historic values in structures than the wrapper from a burger or a Starbucks  container that held his latte earlier in the day. The bottom-line mentality has spread to the proving grounds of bulldozers and water-tank trucks. Nothing drives home that point more than the text that I just got from long-time friend, Jamal, who just informed me that he has closed his C-store. The  post-office behind him is gone. It's now condos. The retirement village across from his side-street entrance is closing for re-development, but the kicker is that the Blockbuster store across the street was re-developed and leased by Walmart and that set the stage for Jamal's business could not last. The property under the Walmart is one of many owned by a former Dallas City Councilman, no less. 


The house is long gone. The street is nearly gone and the developer has cleared all the trees, excavated the property from one end to another and laid all the sewers and  drains and made water connections for several new homes that will now stand behind the formal Buckingham, Texas  city hall. Buckingham was annexed by the City of Garland. All that remains today is a park on the corner with a historical marker. 

The original post with shots before any work done can be seen in the Archive of this blog dated April 04,2013, "The Last to go for Buckingham."

No comments:

If Something Moves You, Photograph it!

 This could well be a father's statement to his daughter who just sent me an image that she took. Having said that, I hope she's che...