Sunday, January 1, 2012

It's Not Bah Humbug New Year, but It's Close

As a child growing up in small town America, many things marked the beginning or ending of years. This year, I'm nine, but  n-e-x-t year, I'll be 10, was one of those count downs. Then, it quickly became tax years. Come to think about it......it's still tax years! But, yesterday, while at Fair Park, old memories came back that seemed to freeze time for the rest of the day. Well, maybe not frozen, but slowed way down as I saw things that I had not seen in 60 years. Soon, I'll be able to see it again in actual motion and not just sitting in a fenced in museum when the American Railroad Museum moves from Fair Park in Dallas to it's new home in the city of Frisco the old town but new bedroom community North and West of Plano. The engines will travel on live rail there as it was stated in the press when it was first announced that the museum was moving.


As a child, I can recall seeing these stop at our small town' s rail station to let off and pick up passengers.

Then, I recall seeing one of these for the very first time coming down the tracks! As a boy, it was the WOW factor!
So, as 2012 rolled over around the world and finally  struck  midnight here in Dallas, the relevance of time just does not have the meaning that it did when I was nine. That's  why I take each day as it arrives. Happy New Year to those of you that are still counting!

No comments:

April Steps Fell, Weather brought shut-in days. Happy May Day, Too!

Springtime in Texas is mixing up the cold air with the warm moist Gulf air inflow, but it was still, a pretty good month weather, health and...